Tuesday, March 4, 2008

admitting defeat

I learned an important lesson today. I admitted defeat and the moment I did, I felt the stress lift from my shoulders. It was nothing major, I had signed on to create an Access database so I could learn more about the program. This was back in December and it’s now March and I still haven’t finished it. It has been nagging at me in the back of my mind and I’ve been able to put it off for a bit because it’s not something I generally work on while I’m in the village. But this week I’m working in Johannesburg and was feeling the pressure of needing to get a lot of work done and not sure how I was going to do it with this monster database looming over my head. This morning Leigh came and sat down to discuss some other things and he saw the frustration on my face. That was when I realized I just had to let it go and told him that I needed to give up the mini-project. So this is my lesson, there is no shame in admitting defeat. I think it’s better than trying to continue on with something that I know would be drawn out just because I want to create it. There is someone else who can do the job faster and probably better than I can, so it’s best to leave it to the expert. And now I feel like I can actually accomplish things this week.

No comments: